Did you know that if you find three things to be thankful for every day for a year, you will have collected 1,000 gifts? According to Anne Voskamp, it's true. And Anne Voskamp KNOWS about giving thanks for 1,000 Gifts. In fact, she wrote the book on it. Literally.
And, seriously, you NEED the book!
How do I know? Cause EVERYONE needs this book.
So yeah, 3 gifts per day, one year, one THOUSAND gifts. 1,000 to thank the Lord for.
Oh, I can do that.
And then, just in case you get stuck, she will even give you suggestions of where to FIND these gifts.
I am taking the dare. You should too...
Here are my first seven days worth:
1. The sound of laughter from my girls as they watch a movie so familiar that they laugh before the funny even happens.
2. The soft sound as hubby steals a kiss on the cheek as he passes by.
3. The loud smack of a snowball on the window when the girls (and Hubby) try to get me to join them in a snowball fight ... followed by the sound of screams and squeals when I come running out the door after them.
4. The gift of having had my longing for a white Christmas come true. And the still sparkling snow that blankets the ground.
5. The provision of a home to call our own and the warmth that it brings both body and heart.
6. Plain & simple? Gluten free food that does not taste like feet or cardboard. Praise Him for flavor!!!
7. Sophie playing make believe with her toys - they are so very sweet and polite to each other.
8. Two sweet girls reading and learning their own Bible memory verses.
9 A scuffle in the bathroom and voices raised. Then a few minutes later and apology and an "it's OK, I love you Sophie" ... grace indeed.
10. Old photographs on my wall marking a rich heritage, so deep in love for the Lord and for each other. Blessed.
11. A new life, growing in a belly in Arizona. A grandchild. A gift.
12. A blue mug that ties me to a different kind of family - friends who are sisters in Christ. fRamily (family you would choose for friends, friends you love like family). And a precious NEW inheritance. Or should I say inHAIRitance? (siestas just smiled)
13. Reading teh book of James over and over and over again in preparation for memorization. AND reading the Little House books with my girls the way my mommy read them with me!
14. Making memories with my family - board games, classic books, snowball fights and the Wii Fit obstacle course.
15. See a True Bosom Friend off on a new adventure. A bitter sweet gift to be sure, but honored to pray them off as they heed His call on their lives.
16. A bag of gluten free cookies that Hubby brought home as a surprise. He ROCKS and they are actually quite good.
17. Some ice cold milk from the fridge, into which gluten free cookies can be dipped, making them taste even sweeter!
18. A heart full of love for this man who thinks of me in sweet little ways through the day. SO Blessed!
19. A brother, there for me my whole life through, who exemplifies loyalty and grace, loves fiercely and stands beside me no matter what. This just happens to be his birthday! Happy Birthday Jimmy!!!
20. A friend who drops everything for a sister in need, promises to protect, pray and hold her up to the One who heals. Lord Jesus, come!
21. A man who overlooks the half-done, botched up, messes left, laundry scattered, house un-dusted,and floors un-vacuumed to praise the one thing done well. His grace astounds me and makes me love the Author of Grace all the more.
So ... go. 3 gifts per day. I DARE you!!!